Saturday, July 23, 2005

All around #2



Call centre operatives have a tough time. Or so I was told when I visited Bangalore this last week.

**** **** ****

“Sir, I’m calling from S~ C~ Bank, Sir, we have a very special scheme to offer you, Sir, Sir, Sir, you see, Sir, we can give you a personal loan of one and a half lakh rupees, Sir …”

“What’s your name?”

“Sir, my name is, I mean I’m calling from S~ C~ Bank, Sir ..”

“What’s your name? When were you trained?”

“Sir, I don’t understand, Sir, are you interested in a free personal loan …”

“When you were trained, didn’t they teach you that you should first ask the client whether it’s a good time to talk?!”

“Sir, I’m sorry Sir, do you already hold a S~ C~ credit card, Sir?”

“Did you check your data-base before calling me?”

“Sir yes Sir …”

“Will you please check what it says in the box for ‘Occupation’?”

“Sir, of course Sir, Sir it says …” SILENCE “Sir I’m sorry Sir!” Disconnection, busy tone.

She had called the Country Manager, Marketing for S~ C~ Bank.

**** **** ****

Another call, this one the stuff of legend.

“Sir, I’m calling from S~ C~ Bank, Sir, I am happy to inform you that you have been cleared for a personal loan yadda yadda ..”

The hapless recipient of this call is a perfect gentleman. He refused once, politely. He refused twice, politely. He refused thrice and said he had to hang up.

The call centre operative was polite, persistent. He hung on. He dangled bait of charge limits, further loans, credit points.

Eventually the client asked, “Do you use the A~ data-base? Is that how you got my number?”

“Sir, we’re not authorized to give out those details, Mr. Azeem, Sir, but if you would please sign on ..”

“Young man, Azim is my first name. My full name is Azim Premji and I really do not need a personal loan. Thank you.”

**** **** ****

6 comments:

Australopithecus said...

Lol!

Heh Heh said...

J.A.P-da, about that premji one, pliss to have a look at this.

J. Alfred Prufrock said...

Fingeek, me and my big ... ummm, keyboard.

J.A.P.

Jay said...

Heh heh. Man I could NEVER do a job like that. Telemarketers and parking wardens - the two most hated species around.

Itineranting said...

And especially with those telemarketeers who insist on speaking in hindi, I switch to the mother tongue!

Anonymous said...

how come these guys are always calling up around three in the afternoon ???
classic from my dad..........
" Sir,from where do take a loan?"
my dad "" Amar Chena Kabliwala aache, taar theke!!!!""
( DSA from 2nd LARGEST BANK in thwe country)